April 18-20, 2013 | 7:30 pm
Sandra Faire and Ivan Fecan Theatre
Accolade East Building
York University, 4700 Keele St.
Inspired by the iconic ballet Le Sacre du printemps originally choreographed by Vaslav Nijinsky, to the score by Igor Stravinsky, Rite Redux features new choreography by Professors Holly Small (YDE Artistic Director), Carol Anderson, Darcey Callison, and Susan Cash. The Director of Design is Prof. William Mackwood. Costumes are by Julia Tribe. Produced by the Departments of Dance and Music in the Faculty of Fine Arts at York University.
2013 marks the 25th anniversary of the York Dance Ensemble, the resident company of York University’s Department of Dance. The YDE provides students with pre-professional experience creating, producing, performing, and touring in a company setting, and has launched the careers of scores of outstanding young Canadian dance artists. Join us as Rite Redux honours this momentous achievement!
Featuring a stellar program of performances by the 2012-13 YDE, with:
· YDE Alumni Nicole Rose Bond, Irvin Chow, Brittany Duggan and Sky Fairchild-Waller.
· Musicians Prof. Michael Coghlan, Kim Chow-Morris, John Kruspe and Prof. Christina Petrowska Quilico.
Included in the evening:
· In Just Spring.... draws inspiration from the early 20th century poem "in Just-" by e.e.cummings. Created and Performed by the dancers and musicians of the York Dance Ensemble, directed by Holly Small.
· Syrinx, composed by Claude Debussy, performed by flautist Kim Chow-Morris. This brief, haunting piece for solo flute is Debussy's impressionist evocation of the myth of Syrinx, the nymph who escaped the amorous advances of the god Pan by hiding in the water at the river's edge disguising herself as a hollow reed. Pan cut the reed to fashion the first set of pan pipes, thus unwittingly killing the very object of his desire.
· Le Sacre Bleu!, presented in homage to Stravinsky, the man, who followed his creative imagination and cared not what people thought of his music. Featuring a score of selected works by Igor Stravinsky - Greeting Prelude, Balalaika, Ragtime for 11 instruments, and Petit Concert. Performed by YDE Alumni Nicole Rose Bond, Irvin Chow, Brittany Duggan, and Sky Fairchild-Waller, choreographed by Susan Cash.
· Selected works by Debussy and Satie, performed by renowned piano virtuoso Christina Petrowska Quilico.
· Rite Redux, the evening’s climax, an audacious 21st century re-imagining of Le Sacre du printemps. Set in the wilds of northern Ontario and steeped in the imagery of Tom Thompson and the Group of Seven, Rite Redux is performed by the YDE with accompaniment by pianists Michael Coghlan and John Kruspe playing Igor Stravinsky's score Le Sacre du printemps. Artistic Director: Holly Small, with choreography by Carol Anderson, Darcey Callison. Lighting and Projection Design: William Mackwood. Costume Design: Julia Tribe.
$25 regular admission | $12.50 for students, seniors & arts workers
$15 for York University dance alumni, with promo code
Box Office: 416.736.5888 | online