Frequently Asked Questions
- Are there additional criteria for applying to a Dance Major besides an application to York U?
- I am an international student, how do I apply?
- How do I apply as a visiting student?
- I am a returning student, do I have to go through the entire Department of Dance auditioning process again for re-admission?
- What is the minimum GPA required for admission into the Dance program at York?
- What is the minimum GPA I need to remain as a dance major?
- Are references required as part of the application process?
- How do I find information about my core and elective courses?
- Where is the Department of Dance located?
- Is there a student organization for dance?
- How do I find out what awards are available for entering students?
A supplementary evaluation, which includes an online questionnaire and an audition, is required.
For information on the auditioning process click here and select 'Step 3'.
The application process and requirements are primarily the same for all students. Please see the link provided for additional information specific to additional requirements for international students, such as a language proficiency test.
If you are unable to come to Toronto to audition in person, you may submit a video audition. Click here for details on Video submissions.
If you are a student currently attending another university and wish to take courses for transfer credit, you may do so on a Letter of Permission. If you already hold a university degree and wish to take courses at York on a non-degree status, you may also enroll by filling out the York University application form and paying an application fee. Please follow the link to the Registrar’s Office for further information.
Students away from their York University’s Dance program for less than one year may be readmitted without an audition. Those away from studies in the program for more than one year are required to audition. Please contact the Department for further information.
The average required for entry into the Dance program is high 70%s for high school students and mid 70%s for current university/college students. In recent years, the average GPA for entering students in Dance has been in the low 80%s.
The minimum GPA for dance majors is 5.0, or a C+.
No, references are not required, or considered.
Please visit this link for more information.
The Department of Dance is housed in the Accolade East Building at York University's Keele campus. The administrative offices of the Department are located on the third floor of the building. Dance studios and the McLean Performance Studio on the second floor. Facilities on the main floor include conditioning and rehearsal spaces and the Department's primary performance venue, the Sandra Faire and Ivan Fecan Theatre.
Yes. The Dance Students’ Association (DSA) is an elected body of undergraduate students. The DSA’s objectives are to represent the interests of all York dance students, and to encourage and coordinate services and activities which will enhance the University experience for students in the Department of Dance, and within the broader York University community.
Information on awards open to incoming dance students can be found here. Information on financial grants, scholarships and bursaries open to all incoming York University students can by accessed off the Fees & Funding page.